Australia, our beloved country, is often referred to as our “sunburnt country”; an apt description embodying our amazing rich brown and red soil landscape, unique wildlife, and the Aussie way of life.
However, Australia has recently become a nation ravaged by wildfires; causing widespread devastation that has taken homes, human life, and wildlife. As of a day ago (Sunday, January 12) it is said that:
- 27 people have died
- more than 2,000 homes have been destroyed
- 18 million acres have burned, and
- a billion animals may have been killed
The response, locally, statewide, nationally and internationally has been overwhelming; with firies, volunteers, charities, businesses, billionaires, singers, actors, comedians, the Australian and international community all linking arms to help during this incredibly challenging and devasating time in our country.
There has been a call to action; and people from all corners of the world have collectively acknowledged our plight. TV Host Ellen Degeneres acknowledged Australia at the recent 2020 Golden Globes, “Australia, I love you, my heart goes out to everyone who is suffering in Australia, all the animals that we’ve lost.” The US TV host recently pledged support to Australia’s bushfire relief by launching a $US5 million fundraiser on her show; announcing the fund would “help the firefighters, the people and the animals of Australia”.
How you can help
There are many ways you too can pledge your support for those affected by wildfires raging across our nation. Here are a few we’ve come across.
- Australian Red Cross: volunteers at evacuation and recovery centers
- Salvation Army Australia: providing shelter and meals to evacuees and front-line responders
- St. Vincent de Paul Society Australia: helping evacuated families cover bills and rebuild
- New South Wales Rural Fire Service: directly benefit volunteer firefighters and they they have set up specific funds for the families of two firefighters
- Australian comedian Celeste Barber: has created a Facebook fundraiser for the Trustee for NSW Rural Fire Service & Brigades Donation Fund that supports the New South Wales Fire Brigade, Victoria Country Fire Authority and South Australia’s Country Service
- Save the Children : supports their child-friendly evacuation centers in Wagga Wagga in New South Wales and in Bairnsdale in Victoria. The spaces are providing support and relief to children and families as they focus on recovery and rebuilding.
- WIRES, an Australian wildlife rescue nonprofit: helping the devastated animal population
- Port Macquarie Koala Hospital: raising money to purchase and distribute automatic drinking stations fore wildlife, particularly the Koala, to fire affected areas
- Currumbin Wildlife Hospital: working tirelessly to treat the hundreds of animals requiring care
- Animals Australia Federation: providing resources to help surviving wildlife in some of the hardest-hit areas. Resources include expert veterinarian care and food
- Animal Rescue Collective: donations go to supplies for sewing pouches for Australia’s orphaned or injured kangaroos, koalas and bats to support for care of animals rescued in the fires.
- RSPCA National Bushfire Appeal: have mobilised staff, volunteers and resources to provide assistance wherever it is needed
What Our Government is Doing
Here a few recent articles about what our government is doing to assist in this time of crisis:
- Bushfire Royal Commission Proposal
- Federal Government Funds For Mental Health in Fires Crisis
- National Bushfire Recovery Agency Press Release
Our hope is that you join the millions of everyday Australian’s in contributing to helping those in need. This is something that goes to the very core of who we are as a nation…and who we are at Sunrise Caravans. For those of you we consider our extended family (customers) and have attended our Owner’s Trips, you know that our heart lies in helping communities in need. We hope you share our sentiment and also choose to give back to regions that need help right now; the very regions you no doubt have or will visit during your caravan road-trips. Please support the towns that support the joy you experience travelling our amazing country.